Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Unknown Character In A Love Story?

Do the hero and the heroine happen to make a Love Story? Wrong. Any love story is incomplete without the third person, who happens to be the best friend or best friends of the lovers. These people had been present in the hero and the heroine’s lives before they found each other and they were the ones who saw the puppy love blossom. They played the role of Cupid some times, the confidante or a shoulder to cry on at other times, depending on the stages the love story is unfolding through.

I myself have played this role in so many love stories, of which some were a flop show and others could have been a box office hit! I have seen my buddies falling in love, answered the “You really think she’s the one for me?” questions hundreds of times, jested at each encounter they had and been an unpaid critic telling them the best ideas to make these dates successful. Have made phone calls on friends’ behalf, acted as a pigeon conveying messages and helped resolve the Cold War when they had one. It has been my success to see the lovers unite and my failure when they didn’t. Have cried with my friends when their dreams shattered, lost hope in love with them and have floated through clouds when things went well…

I have also shouldered the responsibility of seeing that my friends did not get too hurt when they broke off. So I had the unfortunate job of tearing all the love letters. With my trembling hands and shaken faith I tore those letters full of emotions and promises, of commitment and abandonment. Can such a person who goes through so much from beginning to the end of the love story be of any less importance than the lovers themselves? Perhaps not I guess.

But, as most friends in a love story would have felt, I had felt neglected almost as many times as I had felt elated in all those love stories. Though I was genuinely happy for my friends, I almost felt a twinge of jealousy at being replaced each time. How many times have I planned something with my buddy only to be ditched at the last moment because “She wants to see that movie?” How many times have I sat all alone reminiscing of the times when I had someone to share my thoughts with? How many days have I gone along with them to be a silent spectator as they sat lost in each other? How many times, after being a part of every single turn in their love story, have I been told to mind my own business rather than meddle in theirs? Countless times, I suppose!

Had this put me off love stories? No, I am a die-hard romantic and a loyal friend. My support has been unconditional to all my friends who have fallen in love in the recent times. So has the support of all the friends in the love stories around the world. Without them, there would be love stories, but somewhat empty and lacking. So I decided long back that love and friendship can go together, as it was the matter of being more sensitive to both.

In search of someone who thinks the same….!!! Contacts anyone?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, life is always to be a string in between the pearls(FRIENDS).Sometimes, i feel if we are the only people connecting two hearts then we r blessed by God.
Almost every person plays this life once in his or her life.
I wonder how these exciting things come to our lives and make us in a way responsible piegon(hahaha...).
I liked the ideas one has shared with everyone. I wish all the luck for such person.

lonelywaves said...

Hi, now I have also joined your comunity. This is a good post. keep it up.

Adam Murphy said...

@lonelywaves

nice to have u in here... we were out of O2 a bit... ;) well keep posting..

@caleb

just a brainwave to sustain a meger amount of hits and try to outrun ur blogs viewership!

@anu srivastava

nice comments wanna join my blog as a co-writter?